A Study Into The Relation Between Nomadic Culture and Society



Wednesday 3 February 2010

Modes of Travel and Escapism Camper Vans/Tents

Many people like to 'get away from it all' this escapism from the constraints of society comes in many shapes and forms. Some people prefer to simply pack up a car and a tent and head for the hills, whilst others plan road trips in more detail and with a more comfortabe mode of transport.

When I was younger my family and I would often go camping in Cornwall, Wales and France. We would pack up a tent and simply go - this was an idylic way of life and one which I thoroughly enjoyed and I have retained many happy memories from that time. Camping to me was a great adventure because when we were away there were endless things to do and places to explore. Being free from urban constraints and structure was a great joy to me and this freedom of spirit has remained with me.

“The land was ours before we were the land’s”
-- Robert Frost



I have progressed from a tent to a VW Transporter which has been converted into a 'camper van'. My dad and I padded out the inside to become a comfortable place to sleep and entertain; I even have a small bar area! My van is always ready for me to 'go' I have a bed in it and a stove plus my surfing gear. If I decide to stay over or go somewhere I have my 'home' with me and have no worry abouyt ever having to find a bed for the night. This freedom has allowed me to travel throughout the UK and Europe whatever the weather and enabled me to retain a spirit of adventure and in some sense nomadism.


My Van - Image taken by Harry Hilliar


This image was taken by Rirkrit Tiravanija
source: Dean, T. & Millar.J., 2005, Place, Thames and Hudson:London.


'When I was nineteen years old I left Thailand and went to Canada. At that point, I left high school thinking that I would go into photojournalism because I enjoyed the idea of being mobile and travelling a lot. I wanted to see everything, and this was a situation that could be put me there. I wasn't ever interested in making a lot of money; I just wanted to get by. But I wanted to see everything.' (Dean/Millar 2005:155)

As said previously there are many ways of 'getting away from it all' and whilst conducting research I came across these interesting images of luxury camper vans.
The following link will take you to an online forum which shows images of a variety of different camper vans with all of the owners having common denominators - the desire to travel in their own van in (relative) comfort and in some cases style and to experience life on the road away from normality of everyday living. The desire to escape to the great outdoors to 'rough it' is an inherent need in some people whilst others will not find it desirable at all. For them sleeping in small cramped spaces, being cold and not having the comforts of home is not an option. However if you are rich enough to own one of the vans in the images below I would hardly say 'it was roughing it'.

forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4520042...







My idea of luxury is one of these vans with a sports car underneath - if I had one of these and money was no object I would like to travel the world and expeirience as many different cultures and traditions as possible whilst still retaining a sense of freedom and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment